Surprize Pregnancy Blog

Yep, we were shocked. Please check out my pregnancy blog at

Friday, May 28, 2010

spring 2010


Just yesterday, I was finishing up some laundry and had taken 2 of the kids to a dr. appt. that turned out great. Anytime I can leave a medical establishment without the kids or myself crying and no rx for anything, I consider a success. In my head I was actually thinking, "Man, I think that I might be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel on these very stressful weeks." And at some point I'm going to write out an actual timeline of this stressful spring to actually show myself that I have proof if I'm going to end up with a breakdown of sorts.

So, after this thought that things just might be looking up, my phone rings. My sister is crying. Telling me that she has just gotten off of the phone with my mom and our step dad is in emergency waiting for a consult with a neurosurgeon because his brain is bleeding.

WTF??? Back up here. OK, here goes.
About a week ago, my stepdad hit his head against his car door getting into his car. No big, right? WRONG! He is on a blood thinner for his heart and this is where things get scary. Days after the injury, which was minor and not really on anyone's radar, he starts to act a bit off. And it just gets worse daily. He had been in to see his doctor and they were running tests. As soon as they saw the cat scan results yesterday afternoon, he was sent immediately to e.r. Which is when I got the call to catch me up on everything.

Alrighty. I'm crying on the phone, telling my sis that I will be up there as soon as I can find a sitter for my kids. Chris gets home late, but it works out. In e.r., they have already met with the surgeon and scheduled surgery for 7 am this morning (Friday). All seems to be under control. They take him up to ICU to be monitored through the night. His mom and my mom stay with him.

I'm stressed out and don't want to go home until after the kids are in bed so I don't have to explain anything to them yet. I head to Walmart where I end up stress shopping and spending over $100 on absolutely nothing that I need, not including the alli diet pill
. My cell starts to ring like crazy. My stepdad deteriorated very quickly and began to not recognize anyone or know where he was. They started to prep for surgery and called us all back up to the hospital.

They took him into surgery and cut a hole in his skull to relieve the pressure and remove the blood clot in his head. It took 3 hours. It went perfectly. WHEW! They removed a blood clot that was an inch and a half thick. I was a ball of nerves. Clenching my jaw, scowling my forehead, trying to sleep on a tiny couch in the surgery waiting room.

Bottom line, we are soooooo very lucky to have him still with us. Bottom line, I'm a stress case. Bottom line, I got home at 3 a.m. this morning, was up at 6, spent a lot of time in ICU. Away from the hospital, I haven't been a nice person. I think that I'm getting gunshy .

He will be in ICU for a few days, then moved to a regular floor. After that, he will have to move to another facility for rehab. typing this out makes my stomach hurt.



Katie said...

Bottom Line: I love you.

Catherine said...

oh Kari!! I'm so sorry! Praying!

Carrie said...

Oh my gosh! I am so, so glad they caught it. But so scary! I am thinking of him.