Surprize Pregnancy Blog

Yep, we were shocked. Please check out my pregnancy blog at http://redgrapefruitsegments.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Vocal abuse

It's not what you think it is!

I had Bec's hearing and speech checked a while ago and he checked out just fine except they were concerned with how hoarse his voice is. And although I told them that it has always been this way, they were still concerned.

we saw the ent yesterday and he prescribed voice rest to see if we notice a difference in the hoarseness. If not, he will have to be put to sleep and have his chords scoped to see if he had any permanent damage done while he was a newborn due to malnutrition or dehydration. Or if he has a birth defect with his vocal chords.

He is also on the waiting list for weekly voice therapy so he can learn to better control his voice instead of yelling all of the time. Thus causing vocal abuse.

So, I'm constantly saying, "Shhhh" or "go take a drink of water" to him. He has been doing pretty well. His preschool friends are right on him, reminding him to speak quietly. But, this is going to get old pretty quickly I can tell.

So, as I'm getting frustrated with the extra responsibility, I remind myself that we are safeguarding his voice in the long run. Eyes on the prize. Or, voice box on the prize. That really doesn't make any sense.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That sounds like a pretty overwhelming task. Hope everything works out okay!