Surprize Pregnancy Blog

Yep, we were shocked. Please check out my pregnancy blog at http://redgrapefruitsegments.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 14, 2008

Wasted

I think that I just finished the saddest book that I've ever read. Actually I listened to it, but it is kind of the same.

It is a memoir of a woman and her eating disorders. Called Wasted by Marya Hornbacher. She remembers when her bulimia started. AT 9 years old. And then continues on with her decline, improvement, hospitalizations, treatments and growing up. At this point she is 23. Amazingly because she should be dead. Each segment just tore me up. You could hear when she was getting sucked in again and were so helpless to do anything. I don't think that I've ever internalized a book like this. It was amazing.

I didn't like how she read the book, but hearing her voice really added to it. I would come in from the car and tell Chris about what I had listened to. I normally do this to see if he wants to listen to the cds after I'm done. Well, on this one, he asked me to not even tell him anymore and he did not want to borrow it. It was harrowing. And so honest. Humans are fascinating.

2 comments:

Anastasia said...

i cant handle sad stories...i usually avoid them...lifes too depressing!

Unknown said...

I remember in high school we were visited by a Miss Indiana (pageant queen) who had gone through bulemia/anorexia, and as she was telling us about some of the things that had happened to her, I vowed never to do that.

Hopefully the story was uplifting as well as harrowing.