Surprize Pregnancy Blog

Yep, we were shocked. Please check out my pregnancy blog at http://redgrapefruitsegments.blogspot.com/

Saturday, February 02, 2008

I'm Wearing My Grief

Or, alternate title, "I am Scarlett O'Hara"

My therapist and I were discussing a while back that in this day and age, there aren't any grief rituals for people that are in mourning. I thought about this for a long while and then made a decision of how I was going to honor my dad's death day which is this month.

Starting today, until February 16, which is the day he died, I am wearing all black. I took all of my black clothes out of my closet and will be also borrowing some clothes as well. I'm very thankful that I own a set of black scrubs as my back up outfit for when I can't put anything together. I even changed my Avatar to reflect this. She is wearing something almost identical to what I wore today. I also changed her expression to sad.

My family is very supportive and love the idea. So do I. I wish that I would have thought of this for my miscarriages. I think that it would have helped a lot.

Isn't it New York where people wear all black? Is it Paris too? I can always pretend that I am a displaced french girl or New Yorker!

8 comments:

KrayonKel said...

That's such a creative idea to express your love, respect and mourning in a visible way.

You should add to the senses by playing a little Johnny Cash. :)

((I'm writing you an email too.))

Anonymous said...

I've always thought it was a shame that we didn't honor the mourning rituals from years gone by. I hate pretending that I'm happy when I'm grieving. People wouldn't expect you to put on a happy show if they realized you were grieving; but most often do not. I think it's a great therapy to do. I am thinking of you.

hugs

Anastasia said...

we Greeks always wear black to grieve so a good colour choice...im sure you're dad is always there around you beaming down and proud of his girl!

Unknown said...

Whatever helps you grieve, girl. You know your friends will support you. Hell, I still write letters to my dead Grandma. If it helps, then it's ok.

Hugs.

Christy said...

I think that is an awesome idea. I think it sucks that not only do we not have any rituals or traditions but it is like-- grieve for a few days- maybe weeks- and then get over it. I think wearing your grief is a wonderful and theraputic idea. Good for you!!

Christy :)

Unknown said...

I like this Karianne. This is so honest, and so you. I think it's so important to visually acknowledge our emotions. I'll be thinking of you until then.

Catherine said...

Love you, Girl.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.